I got the inspiration for this post from Courtney of What’s Up With the Wilhems. I really enjoyed reading her post on the topic, and thought I’d give it a try. Here is my list of the top 5 things I feel obligated to like
1. TV shows and movies with actor/actresses from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, no matter how minor their characters were – seriously, they’re like drugs for me. I see a familiar name pop up on the TV guide and I just have to record it. Just this week, I watched a recording of a LMN movie called “Circle of Friends.” Julie Benz starred in it. She was Darla in the first season of BtVS and then later took up the role again on Angel. ”Circle of Friends” was okay – it was about a woman (Benz) trying to figure out why her high school classmates were dying. Buffy the Vampire Slayer was my first TV love, so of course I am gonna follow wherever the actors/actresses lead me… Names like Julie Benz, Charisma Carpenter, Alyson Hannigan, and of course, my lovely Sarah Michelle Gellar (whom I ADORE) draw me in like magnets. Granted, I normally LOVE (not just like) anything these people do (not The Grudge, though… That one gave me enough nightmares to last forever. Didn’t like it, hated it, but I bought it anyway. Watched it multiple times too, because I wanted to get it. I get it now, and I am sorry for it, Confession: Some of SMG’s movies just appall me because I know she is BETTER THAN THAT). And also, American Pie, anyone? Even when these people play bad/evil characters, I don’t hate them. The TV show Bones is a big one… At this point, I am just watching it for the hotness of David Boreanaz – it is sooooo hard to enjoy a show when you’re gagging at the special effects and graphic crime scenes, and yet I keep watching…
2. Getting Up Early – I suppose it has its benefits, and I do love having extra time to do what I need to do, and I love the quietness of the morning. HOWEVER, I can take the extra time at night, and it is quiet then too. I have grown to loathe the buzzing of my cell phone when I set the alarm on it. It is just so annoying.
3. The raunchy movies my brother Ryan makes me watch sometimes. Yeah, seriously. I may laugh during it, but what I am really feeling is appalled and grossed out. And still, my bottom remains planted on the couch…
4. Cartoons or Muppet Shows. I don’t mind putting them on for my 3 year old niece, but I am not interested whatsoever in watching them myself. It stems back to my childhood, and losing most of my hearing when I was two and a half. My parents didn’t know it until two years later, because I had adapted the way only a child can and taught myself how to read lips. Was bored watching Sesame Street, yet I loved Mister Rogers. BUT I don’t really have a problem with Disney movies. I loved Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, etc. *Shrug.* I am weird like that. I cannot wait to watch them all again with closed captioning… And oh, Miss Piggy annoys the heck out of me. Actually, all those muppets do.
5. American Horror Story. This one stems back to the first item on this list. I absolutely adore what Ryan Murphy has done with Glee, and whereas I haven’t actually watched American Horror Story (so many people told me not to), I definitely want to and I definitely feel obligated to at least try to watch it. Because Ryan Murphy is like another Joss Whedon (um, yeah, the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer) to me. Oh, and Joss Whedon? I have to watch everything he does too… LOL.
So yeah, that is my list! I would be interested to know what you feel obligated to like, so feel free to tell me in the comments!