11. I am thankful for our veterans, because without their selflessness, their sacrifices, their commitment, and their bravery, we could not live the lives we do. We would not be free. Freedom isn’t free. It comes at a price, and often, that price is one of blood.
12. I am thankful for the fact that, even though every now and then, we have natural disasters like the recent Hurricane Sandy, we can pull together and help one other. Just letting someone know that you are there for them does wonders for the soul, yours and theirs.
13. I am VERY thankful that the 2012 presidential election is over (praise the good Lord in Heaven!), and I pray for President Obama… that he will accomplish everything he has said he will do and will say he will do. I pray that he will be a strong source of change for the better, and won’t be hampered by those who refuse to believe in him. The rest is in God’s hands.
14. I am thankful for the good things that are headed my way, for I know that they are coming. God has said, “I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11) Because of that, I will face the bad stuff with my head held high and NEGU.
15. I am thankful, so thankful, for music, and I am beyond grateful that I am able to hear it. Life is kinda like a musical for me (like Glee or The Sound of Music). There is always, always, always a song in my head. Never a quiet moment!
16. I am thankful for food, shelter, clothing, basic necessities that I often take for granted. I am trying to eat better, take more vitamins (really bad about that, unless I am on a streak, but my friend Jennifer B is right… I do need to get better at taking vitamins. Don’t want to get a deficiency of any kind and I will have more energy if I just take the stinkin’ vitamins, so, yep, thankful for vitamins!), and trying to clean ALL the things (thanks Hyperbole and a Half for that phrase, use it all the time now) more often.
17. I am thankful for each day as it comes, because the truth is, I am so lucky to be alive. God knows what he is doing with my life, and that is good enough for me. Once upon a time, it wasn’t, and I demanded to know why, and when He was silent, I turned away from Him. But I was led back to Him… all roads lead home, no matter where I am.
18. I am thankful for entertainment (TV, books, movies/dvds), for it is a great distraction, and takes me out of my world for awhile. I need that for a little while each day. I need to escape. I need a little fiction mixed in with the reality, a little fantasy. I need to worry about made-up problems for a while, get lost in another world. It is because of this I have no interest in reality shows.
19. I am thankful for the simple things that make life bearable when it is unbearable – pain relievers, coffee, hugs, words of encouragement, the comfort and security of my bed, the knowledge that I am loved and that I am fully capable of loving in return. Also, body butter, to which I have just been re-introduced. Ever since my last back surgery, my back itches endlessly, and I have gotten to the point where I am used to it, it doesn’t bother me. My aunt Lisa gave me some body butter for my birthday, and ohmygosh! I could tell the difference. Instant relief.
20. I am thankful for all the earth angels in my life, the people who lend a helping hand, who smile at me, who hug me, and make me feel safe and loved. The ones who say the encouraging words I so need to hear, the ones who let me love on THEM. And the ones from afar, the ones I have yet to meet in person. I am thankful for you all. Please know that even if we don’t meet on this side of life, we will meet in Heaven without a doubt.